Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Semester Two Has Begun!

And here is my first assignment from my Illustration class with Brooke Olivares.

The prompt was capturing the spirit/essence of Barnum and Bailey's Greatest Show on Earth (had to be 8.5x11). I'm not a fan of the circus, but I decided to do a more "behind the scenes" daily morning routine thing.

This was my first time working with my own photo reference. Dani, Garrett, and Megan did a fantastic job posing. It took a few shots but I finally got decent reference to work from. I chose digital mostly because I was worried about the time it would take to do traditional. Digital is kind of my fallback but I don't want to get stuck in that since I am far from experienced with it and I generally try to do a painterly style anyways. I think I learned a lot about light and color in this one and I'm really happy with the way it turned out, for what it was.

I think what I learned the most from this is that I have to give myself at least two or three more hours than I think I'm going to need. And that photo reference can be a life savor.



Process Work:

Reference photo.


Value Rough. Changed a bit, but I stayed fairly close. 




No comments:

Post a Comment