Monday, November 26, 2012

Scratchboard


For our fourth Media assignment we worked with scratchboard. This was a totally foreign concept to me. It was something like reverse pen and ink mixed with elements of sculpting. Basically you use different tools to scratch away the black surface of the board to reveil the white underneath. I was really stoked to take my own reference for this one. Not really sure how the concept came to be, but I like it. 
I had a small 5 x 5 practice scratchboard left over after finishing my skull, so I decided to do a quick (about 40 - 60 minute) scratchboard of a juvenile blue jay from a picture I took on my phone at the wildlife center that I volunteer at. The pattern on it's wing is a shadow of the cage, but it ended up looking more like the poor thing got attacked by a waffle iron. Oh well, you live and you learn. 

No comments:

Post a Comment