Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Semester II: I swear if I ever see another Kookaburra...

Our last few weeks of Drawing II were spent outside at the local "zoological gardens" doing animal studies.  After studying the animals in general (mostly birds and reptiles and a handful of small mammals) we were instructed to choose one particular animal that we would study more closely and eventually turn into a character.  After looking around Jungle Gardens for a bit and having an unsuccessful session with the Great Horned Owl, I settled on the Laughing Kookaburra.  As the weeks passed I actually grew quite fond of the little guy, especially when he would call back to his son who was always in the bird show during the time we were there. 

I will never forgive myself for getting messy with that ink....



Eye studies and character development. 

 Sequential studies from videos.

Final character and sequence.
Concept:  Kookaburras are considered the “king of the bush” but are actually similar to crows when it comes to being super tame scavengers. And they will actually steal food off of barbecues quite frequently. So instead of making my character all noble and whatnot, I made him blissfully ignorant with a paper crown as he goes around stealing food from locals. 

This one is my favorite of the sequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment